Here are a few tips when using a cash machine that are simple precautionary steps that can keep you from becoming a victim of crime and allow you to use the machine easily, quickly, and safely.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid poorly maintained or poorly lighted locations. If you see anyone or anything that appears suspicious, leave the area immediately.
- Bring a friend when using an ATM or night deposit facility after dark.
- Be prepared. Have your card ready before approaching the ATM.
- Shield the ATM keyboard with your body so others cannot observe you entering your PIN.
- Cancel the transaction and pocket the card if a suspicious situation develops.
- If you are followed after leaving an ATM, go to a heavily populated, well lighted area and call the police.
At Drive Up ATMs
- While waiting in line, keep the engine running, the doors locked and the windows up.
- Leave enough room between cars to allow for a quick exit if necessary.
Card Smart Tips
- Memorize your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Never write it on your card or on anything you carry with your card.
- Never tell your PIN to anyone.
- Be wary of giving out account information over the phone.
- Don’t withdraw money from an ATM for an “official” person. No official would ask you to withdraw money for any reason.
- Keep your transaction receipts and verify each one against your statement. If you find an unexplained transaction, notify us immediately.
- Report a lost or stolen card as soon as you discover it is missing.
- Avoid scratching the magnetic stripe on the back of your card.
- Store your card in its own slot in your wallet or in a card sleeve to protect it from scratches and wear.
- Do not allow magnetic stripes from different cards to rub together.
- Keep your card away from magnetic wallet clasps, magnetic door catches and other magnetic sources.
- Avoid bending your cards.